Get Advising on F-1 Matters
|In-person||email or call|
You can speak to an F-1 international student advisor during the Drop-In advising hours(No appointment needed):
Monday to Friday: 2PM to 4PM
Email: email@example.com or call 415.338.1293.
The response time is 1-2 business days (not including weekends or university closure).
Please provide your full name and SF State Student student ID number (if you have one) in your inqury.
The F-1 international student advisors provide advising on issues related to F-1 student visa status. For academic advising, please visit the Advising Hub (Undergraduate students) or speak to Graduate Coordinators (Graduate students).
As an F-1 international student, you are responsible for learning, understanding, and complying with the U.S. laws and regulations that apply to your F-1 student status. This is referred to as "maintaining status" or "being in status". Failure to be aware of and to comply with F-1 regulations could jeopardize both your legal status in the U.S. and your future academic plans.
- Understanding SEVIS and Your F-1 Documents: Passport, SEVIS and SEVIS reporting, Form I-20, F-1 Visa, and I-94
- Report Your U.S. Address and U.S. Phone Number
- Provide Emergency Contacts
- Full-Time Requirement
- Online Courses v.s. Hybrid Courses
- Reduced Course Load (RCL)
- Full-Time Equivalency (FTE) *Graduate Students Only
- Academic Standing and F-1 Status
- Change Status to F-1
- Leave of Absence
If you will be traveling outside the U.S. while your are in F-1 status, you will need to follow certain procedures in order to return to the U.S. to continue your study.
F-1 international students are only eligible to seek employment under very limited circumstances. Students may not begin any type of employment without prior work authorization. This section covers the various types of employment eligibility students may seek while in F-1 international student status.
- On-campus Employment
- Off-campus Employment - Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
- Off-campus Employment - Optional Practical Training (OPT)
- Off-campus Employment - Economic Hardship
- Volunteering and Unpaid Internships
- STEM OPT Extension
- H-1B Cap-Gap Extension
What Employers Should Know About Hiring International Students
(Developed by International Career Opportunities Network, NAFSA Region XII)
Useful Resources for F-1 International Students
- International Student Resources
- Scams and Fraud
- Mandatory Health Insurance Requirements for F-1 International students
- Social Security Number (SSN)
- Financial Assistance
- International Students and Cannabis Use