F-1 international students are only eligible to seek employment under very limited circumstances. Students may not begin any type of employment without prior work authorization.
This section covers the various types of employment eligibility students may seek while in F-1 international student status.
- On-campus Employment
- Off-campus Employment:- Practical Training Workshop (YouTube video. Video length: 5:03)
- Off-campus Employment - Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
- Off-campus Employment - Optional Practical Training (OPT)
- Off-campus Employment - Economic Hardship
- Volunteering and Unpaid Internships
- STEM OPT Extension
- H-1B Cap-Gap Extension
What Employers Should Know About Hiring International Students
(Developed by International Career Opportunities Network, NAFSA Region XII)