Taking Classes at Another School
USCIS allows F1 students at SF State to take classes at both SF State and at another school at the same time which is known as Concurrent Enrollment. Concurrent enrollment can only be granted by OIP.
General Requirements for Concurrent Enrollment
- Students are required to be enrolled in a full-time course of study. This means you should enroll in at least 12 units at SF State OR at least 9 units at SF State plus 3 or more units at another school) in the Spring and Fall semester. You do not need to be full-time during Summer.
- You must submit a completed and signed Concurrent Enrollment Request form and get approval from OIP before or within 2 weeks of the semester start. You are not required to obtain approval for the Summer or Winter session if you wish to take classes elsewhere.
- 4.5 Quarter units are equivalent to 3 Semester units. Use the SF State Unit Converter Tool to calculate your units
To Attend Classes Through SF State College of Extended Learning
- Undergraduates must be enrolled in at least 9 units (5 units for graduate students) of regular university coursework at SF State during the semester that they plan to take classes at the College of Extended Learning (CEL)
- The class that you take at CEL must be offered for regular Academic Units, not Continuing Education Units (CEU)
- No permission is necessary nor are any forms or signatures required
- F-1 students at SF State are not allowed to take classes via Open University
To Attend Classes Outside SF State
Students who are required to take a class at another school due to Cross Registration must notify OIP before the semester starts.
If the class you need is not offered at SF State, you must ask your Academic Advisor to write a letter explaining the reason you must take the class at another school and submit it to OIP.
Cross Registration and students with a special case must submit the following documents via e-maill email@example.com to OIP:
- Before the semester starts: Submit a copy of approved Cross Registration form, written proof of registration from another school, and a support letter from your Academic Advisor at SF State within 2 weeks of the semester start
- After the semester ends: Submit an official/unofficial transcript from the school where you took classes as soon as we contact you before the first day of the following semester at SF State
To Request Permission to Take Classes at Another School
Submit a completed and signed Concurrent enrollment request form to OIP. You must complete the following steps to meet the full-time requirement:
At the beginning of the semester: Provide evidence that you have successfully registered for the course(s) at another school. This can be a printout of your class schedule or class registration form. These documents must be submitted to OIP within 2 weeks of the SF State semester start date.
After the semester ends: Submit an unofficial copy of your transcript, indicating that you have completed the course(s) and maintained your full-time enrollment . This should be submitted to OIP within 2 weeks of the SF State semester end date.
Failure to submit proof of registration and completion of the courses before the deadline may result in the termination of your SEVIS record. There will be severe consequences to your legal status in the U.S.
- Approval for concurrent enrollment is only good for the semester indicated on your concurrent enrollment request form. If you wish to take classes at another school in a future Spring/Fall semester, you will need to complete this process again.