Spring 2017 New International Students
Congratulations on your acceptance to San Francisco State University!
The staff at Office of International Programs are looking forward to seeing you at the Mandatory International Student Orientation beginning on January 17, 2017.
Please arrange to arrive San Francisco before January 12, 2017
Important Information for New Students
- 10 Steps to Enroll for Spring 2017 (Coming Soon)
- Apply for F-1 Student Visa
- Plan Your Arrival
- Housing in San Francisco
- Estimated Student Expenses and Tuition
- Financial Assistance
- Health Insurance Requirements
- F-1 International Online Orientation on iLearn
Mandatory International Student Orientation (January 17 - 19, 2017)
Location: Student Life Event Center (Annex I)
(Walking from 19th Ave and Holloway or from Lake Merced Blvd and Font Blvd)
For Students Who Are Currently in the United States:
- If you are in F-1 status, you must request your SEVIS record to be transferred to SF State. See I-20 Transfer Procedures
- If you are in other immigration status and wish to change to F-1, see Change Status to F-1 information page
ELM (Entry-Level Mathematics Test) and EPT (English Placement Test) - Undergraduate Students Only
If your Notice of Admission indicates that you need the EPT and/or ELM, you must take the test(s). These tests are mandated by the State of California. To take the test(s), you must register and pay at https://ept-elm.ets.org/CSU/. The final test date is Friday, January 13, 2017.
Test Registration Start date: To Be Announced (TBA)
Test date: Friday, January 13, 2017
Location: To Be Announced (TBA)
Composition for Multilingual Students Program (CMS) - Undergraduate Students Only (Except MA TESOL Students)
We encourage you to watch the following videos to learn more about the CMS program and CMSPT. Visit CMS program website for CMS advising hours.
- Introduction of the CMS program: YouTube Video, QQ Video (Video length: 4:05)
- Introduction of the Composition for Multilingual Students Placement Test (CMSPT): YouTube Video, QQ Video(Video length: 3:27)
Test Registration Start date: Late 2016
Test date: To Be Announced
Location: Humanities Building, Room 405
- Course Registration/Academic Advising
- Undergraduate Degree Requirements videos
- 2016 - 2017 SF State University Bulletin
Health Insurance Requirements
All F-1 International students must obtain and maintain the CSU-sponsored health insurance plan while enrolled at SF State. You can purchase CSU-sponsored health insurance plan at https://www.csuhealthlink.com/.
- Go to http://www.csuhealthlink.com/, click "Find Your School's Plan" and select "San Francisco State University"
- Look for the plan called 2016-2017 San Francisco State University - Intl. Click "Enroll in Coverage". Select "Annual" plan. Do not purchase other plans otherwise the insurance hold will not be cleared
- Registrar's Office will clear your hold within 48 hours. You do not need to provide the proof of purchase to the Registrar's Office or OIP
(Video length: 2:27. This video does not include any dialogue)
Understanding and Using Your Health Insurance
Watch the following video to learn how health insurance works in the U.S., what to do when you are sick, and services provided by Student Health Services (SHS).
(Video length: 3:14. This video does not include any dialogue)
To Clear the International Health Insurance Registration Hold:
- If you purchase the CSU-sponsored health insurance plan, your hold will be cleared with 48 hours
- Government-sponsored scholarship: If your health insurance is included in your government scholarship, e-mail a proof of your government scholarship that includes reference to your health insurance to OIP at email@example.com. Please include your full-name and SF State ID in your e-mail
- Employer-sponsored plan: If your health insurance is employer-sponsored plan (i.e. receipt of insurance is a part of the employment compensation through your spourse or parents in the US), please obtain a letter of your current insurance coverage from your insurance company and purchase the 2016-2017 On Call International (Medical Evacuation & Repatriation) Plan. E-mail the letter and proof of 2016-2017 On Call International (Medical Evacuation & Repatriation) Plan to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your full-name and SF State ID in your e-mail
We hope you found the above information helpful. We are looking forward to see you in San Francisco!
"Plan and think about your goals and what you want to achieve during the program, otherwise, it’s likely you will just end up spending time and money."
"Try and meet people before coming here, e.g. through Facebook. I found it very hard when I got here not knowing anyone and I wish I had made use of the Facebook group before coming to San Francisco."
"Be friendly, try new things, and be involved."
"It’s normal to be homesick from time to time."
"Look for housing early, and do not despair if it does not go well in a week; every day brings better opportunities."