Mandatory Health Insurance Requirements
All international students in F-1 status are required to purchase SF State sponsored insurance during their period of enrollment at SF State.
F-1 International students are required to satisfy the insurance requirement through purchase of the SF State sponsored insurance offered by Relation. There are two exceptions to this policy:
Students on a government-sponsored scholarship which provides compatible insurance coverage as a part of the sponsorship. To clear hold: E-mail a proof of your government scholarship that includes reference to your health insurance to OIP at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your full-name and SF State ID in your e-mail.
- Students receiving insurance coverage through an employer-sponsored plan in the United States (i.e. receipt of insurance is a part of the U.S. employment compensation through your spouse): please contact Mr. Michael Beatty, Risk Manager at email@example.com for instruction to clear the insurance hold. Include your full-name and SF State ID in your e-mail.
To ensure that all international students provide sufficient evidence of coverage, an International Health Insurance Hold must be cleared by the Registrar's Office before you can enroll in courses for an upcoming term.
Purchase SF State Sponsored Health Insurance
Find the "Enroll" button and click to select the plan you wish to purchase. There are four plans available:
- Fall 2018 early arrival: August 1, 2018 to January 1, 2019
- Fall 2018: August 11, 2018 to January 1, 2019
- Annual academic year (Fall 2018 and Spring 2019): August 11, 2018 to May 31, 2019
- Annual (Fall 2018, Spring 2019 and Summer 2019): August 11, 2018 to August 10, 2019
Hold clearance wait time:
Please allow at least 2 business days for the hold to be cleared by the Registrar's Office. It is not necessary to provide the proof of purchase to OIP.
- This plan is for students who graduated form SF State.
- Do not purchase the insurance online. Students on OPT must complete the paper form and fax or mail to Relation. Relation can not accept application and credit card information by email.
- You must make your purchase within 30 days of your previous insurance end date. For example, if your current insurance will end on May 31, you must purchase new coverage by June 30. 2018.
To purchase insurance:
Complete the 2018-2019 OPT Enrollment Form (PDF, 172KB). The 2018-2019 plan starts on August 11, 2018.
Select the coverage that you wish to purchase, and calculate the total charges.
Mail the Enrollment Form with payment to the address indicated on the form or send by fax (310) 394-0142. You must include ONE of the following items with your enrollment form:
- If your OPT application is still ending with USCIS, submit a copy of your I-20 with OPT recommendation.
- If your OPT application has been approved, submit a copy of your EAD.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Who can answer my questions about insurance?
SF State international student insurance is provided by Relation. For questions about the insurance, contact Relation Customer Service team at 1-800-537-1777 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can I purchase health insurance at Student Health Services (SHS)?
No, SHS does not accept payments for insurance. Insurance must be purchased at Relation’s website.
How do I get my Insurance card?
Carry your insurance ID card with you at all times.
Understanding and Using Your Health Insurance
Watch the following video to learn how health insurance works in the U.S., what to do when you are sick, and services provided by Student Health Services (SHS).
(Video length: 3:14. This video does not include any dialogue)