Fall 2015 International Student Orientation. August 17, 2015.
Congratulations on your acceptance to San Francisco State University!
The staff at Office of International Programs are looking forward to see you at the Mandatory International Student Orientation on January 19, 2016. Please arrange to arrive San Francisco before January 14, 2016.
Important Information for New Students
- Apply for F-1 Student Visa
- Plan Your Arrival
- Housing in San Francisco
- Estimated Student Expenses and Tuition
- Online Orientation on iLearn (Coming Soon)
Orientation schedule for the Mandatory International Student Orientation from January 19, 2016 to January 21, 2016
For Students Who Are Currently in the United States:
- If you are in F-1 status please read I-20 Transfer Procedures
- If you are in other immigration status and wish to F-1, read Change Status to F-1
ELM (Entry-Level Mathematics Test) and EPT (English Placement Test)
If your Notice of Admission indicates that you need the EPT and/or ELM, you must take the test(s). These tests are mandated by the State of California. To take the test(s), you must register and pay at https://ept-elm.ets.org/CSU/ in early November 2015. The test date is Friday, January 15, 2016.
Test date: Friday, January 15, 2016
Location: To Be Announced (TBA)
Test Registration: Registration will start in early November
Composition for Multilingual Students Program (CMS) - Undergraduate Students Only (Except MA TESOL Students)
We encourage you to watch the following videos to learn more about the CMS program and CMSPT. Visit CMS program's website at http://http://cmls.sfsu.edu for CMS advising hours.
- Introduction of the CMS program: YouTube Video, QQ Video (Video length: 4:05)
- Introduction of the Composition for Multilingual Students Placement Test (CMSPT): YouTube Video, QQ Video (Video length: 3:27)
- Register and Pay for CMSPT: YouTube Video, QQ Video (Video length: 1:27) (This video does not include any dialogue)
Test date: To Be Announced (TBA)
Location: To Be Announced (TBA)
Test Registration: To Be Announced (TBA)
- Course Registration/Academic Advising
- 10 Steps to Enroll for Spring 2016
- Undergraduate Degree Requirements
All new Spring 2016 F-1 International students must obtain and maintain the CSU Sponsored Health Insurance plan or provide a proof of insurance that meets or exceeds the minimum San Francisco State University insurance requirements while enrolled at SF State.
To purchase CSU Sponsored Health Insurance plan:
- Go to https://www.csuhealthlink.com/, click "Find Your School's Plan" and select "San Francisco State University"
- Look for the plan called 2015-2016 San Francisco State University - Intl. Click "Enroll in Coverage". Spring 2016 new students should choose the "Spring Summer" plan (Plan covers from 1/12/2016 - 8/11/2016). Do not purchase other plans.
- Registrar's Office will clear your hold. You do not need to provide the proof of purchase to the Registrar's Office nor OIP
We encourage you to watch the following videos to learn how to purchase the CSU Sponsored Health Insurance plan and how to use your insurance in the US:
- How to Purchase CSU Sponsored Health Insurance: YouTube Video, QQ Video (Video length: 2:27) (This video does not include any dialogue)
- Understanding and Using Your Health Insurance: YouTube Video, QQ Video (Video length: 3:14) (This video does not include any dialogue)
To clear the International Health Insurance registration hold:
- If you purchase the CSU Sponsored Health Insurance plan, your hold will be cleared with 24-48 hours
- If you have your own health insurance, please follow the instruction on this Health Insurance Affidavit Form (PDF) to clear hold. The signed Health Insurance Affidavit Form must to be sent to Student Health Services (SHS), not OIP
- You do not need to complete the Health Insurance Affidavit Form if your health insurance is included in your government scholarship. To clear the hold, please e-mail a proof of your government scholarship that includes reference to your health insurance to OIP at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your full-name and SF State ID in your e-mail
We hope you found the above information helpful. We are looking forward to see you in San Francisco!
Advice from Current International Students
"Plan and think about your goals and what you want to achieve during the program, otherwise, it’s likely you will just end up spending time and money."
"Try and meet people before coming here, e.g. through Facebook. I found it very hard when I got here not knowing anyone and I wish I had made use of the Facebook group before coming to San Francisco."
"Be friendly, try new things, and be involved."
"It’s normal to be homesick from time to time."
"Look for housing early, and do not despair if it does not go well in a week; every day brings better opportunities."