Undergraduate Academic Advising/Transfer Credits


Academic Advising Orientation

All new undergraduate international students must attend an academic advising orientation. You should register in advance for this academic advising, please go to this link: http://www.sfsu.edu/~advising/orientat..


Online Undergraduate Academic Advising

To understand General Education (GE) and graduation requirements, watch the online video workshop at: http://coursestream.sfsu.edu/es..


Transfer Credits

Degree Audit Report System (DARS)

For students who have completed coursework at a California community college or other DARS institutions, the DARS will inform students how previous courses have been accepted towards general education (GE) and other graduation requirements. Students should review DARS report after each semester's grades are recorded in order to monitor progress in completing requirements and resolve errors and/or complete deficiencies. DARS reports can be downloaded through SF Gateway.


Advanced Standing Evaluation (ASE)

For students who have completed coursework at foreign colleges/universities or non-DARS institutions in the U.S., the ASE indicates how SF State has accepted transferred courses towards general education and other graduation requirements. If courses at foreign institutions have been articulated with SF State University prior to admission, transfer credits will be awarded based on articulation agreement and indicated on the ASE once evaluation is completed by the International Undergraduate Admission office.


Students who register for the Academic Advising Orientation during the Mandatory International Student Orientation two weeks in advance will receive an ASE at the orientation. Students who do not register for this orientation will receive an ASE during the first semester of attendance. In order to receive an ASE, all official final transcripts must have been received by the International Undergraduate Admission office. The number of transfer units of credit will appear on the ASE; however, transfer credit in your major field of study (and for coursework used to satisfy post-graduate degree program requirements) is determined by your specific academic department AFTER you arrive at SF State and enroll in courses.