F-2 Dependents

Documents Required to Add F-2 Dependent(s)

To request dependent(s) I-20 for your spouse or children, provide the following documents

  1. A signed and completed I-20 Request Form (PDF, 202KB)
  2. Original or photocopy of your current I-20
  3. Photocopies of your passport and I-94
  4. Photocopy of your dependents' passport (the bio page only) and proof of current status if your dependent(s) have entered the U.S. under different visa type
  5. Photocopy of your marriage certificate (in your native language, with an official English translation)
  6. Photocopies of the birth certificates of any children (in your native language, with an official English translation)
  7. A signed Financial Affidavit (PDF, 203 KB) and a bank letter verifying you or your sponsor(s) have sufficient funds to support your study in the U.S. for at least one academic year.  You can find the minimum amount of funds that you are required to show on the Financial Affidavit.  In addition to showing adequate funding for yourself, you will need to show that your sponsor has an additional amount of $5,000 for your spouse and $5,000 for each child to cover their estimated living costs.

Upon approval, OIP will issue dependent I-20(s) for you and your family member(s). Your family member(s) will then need use the dependent I-20(s) to apply for F-2 visa(s).  Only spouse and children can be added as F-2 dependents.  F-2 dependents are not allowed to work in the U.S.. 

Effective May 29, 2015: F-2 spouses and children may enroll in SF State academic programs for less than a full course of study.  Children who are under 18 may attend school (from elementary school to high school) full-time.


A few things to consider before bring your spouse and children to San Francisco:

  • Finance: The estimated living expenses for each additional family member is $5000 per academic year (nine months).  It is recommended that you complete, for yourself, a one page itemization of expenses for the last nine months (if a student) -- including tuition, books, medical expenses, automobile or transportation expenses, rent, food, utilities, laundry, entertainment, clothes, health insurance coverage, and miscellaneous expenses. You should then project additional expenses for the family and assess whether or not you have the necessary funds to cover these expenses.  
  • Medical Expenses and Child Care: Medical care is very expensive. It is extremely important that you purchase adequate health insurance for your entire family. Child care expenses is also high around Bay Area.
  • Cultural Adjustment: Remember that while you are here to be a student, family members often spend a great deal of time alone. Family members will also need attention and you will need to spend time with your family, sometimes when you feel that you should be studying. Family members may also experience loneliness and depression, and the demands that your studies make on you can sometimes lead to conflict and tension.