F-1 International students who are not able to finish their degree program by the completion date on the I-20 can request an I-20 extension. The length of time allowed for extension is based on the recommendation of students' academic adviser. The extension can not be longer than one calendar year.
You may apply for an extension of program if:
- You have been making normal academic progress.
- You have continuously maintained full-time study and F-1 status
- The delay in completing program requirements has been caused by compelling academic reasons or compelling and documented medical reasons
Delays in completing program requirements caused by academic probation or suspension are not acceptable reasons for extension of a program.
We recommend students to submit their request to OIP at least six weeks before the I-20 expiration date.
To request a I-20 extension, email the following documents to email@example.com from your SF State email account. Include your full name and SF State student ID in your email to OIP. An F-1 international student advisor will review your request and issue a reinstatement I-20 within 5 business days.
- A completed and signed I-20 Extension Form (PDF, 135 KB) by you and your Major academic advisor (undergraduate) or your graduator coordinator (Graduate)
- A completed and signed Baccalaureate Degree Completion Plan (PDF, 382 KB) form (Undergraduate only)
- A signed Financial Affidavit (PDF, 185 KB)
Proof of Finances: you and/or your sponsor(s) must prove that you have the financial ability to pay for school costs plus living expenses for one academic year. See Financial Affidavit (PDF, 185 KB) for the minimum amount of funds you are required to have. Photocopies are acceptable.
- Acceptable types of proof: balance verification issued by the bank or Financial Guarantee/award letters issued by the scholarship organization.
- The proof must be issued within the past 6 months.
- If you have sponsor(s), your sponsor(s) must provide a Sponsor’s Letter (See template. Microsoft Word, 12.1KB) signed by your sponsor(s) along with the financial proof.
If you have been granted a I-20 extension previously, in addition to the documentation above, you must provide an additional letter from your Major academic advisor or graduate coordinator printed on department's original letterhead explaining:
- Verify the reason(s) for a delay in your completion of program requirements.
- Certify that you have been making normal academic progress
- Provide a new date when you are expected to complete your studies.
Once your request is approved, a new I-20 with new program end date will be issued to youzs.
Last updated: June 2020
For PDF files, you'll need Adobe Acrobat 5.0 or above to view it. If you need Adobe Acrobat Reader it's available free from Adobe (link is external).