Online Courses v.s. Hybrid Courses
What is an Online Course?
An online course is a course that does not require a student’s physical attendance for classes, exams or other purposes integral to completion of the class.
For immigration purposes, you are allowed to take as many online courses per semester as it fits your academic plans. Check with your academic advisor to see if there is an academic limit to the number of online courses that can be applied towards your major or general education requirements.
During the Fall and Spring semesters, no more than the equivalent of one online class or three online units may be counted toward the full-time requirement whether it is an SF State course or a course offered by another school. If you are in your final semester at SF State and you need only need one class to complete your graduation requirement, this course cannot be an online course if you wish to physically remain in the U.S.
What is a Hybrid Course?
A hybrid course is NOT considered an online course. A hybrid course is a course which requires physical attendance for at least one component, this could be an orientation, an exam, a seminar, or any other kind of meeting which requires you to come to campus for this class. All units from hybrid courses will satisfy full-time requirements.
Read the course description carefully before registering for a hybrid course.
The Following Combinations Meet the Undergraduate Full-Time Requirement:
- 9 units of in-person or hybrid course and 3 units of online course
- 9 units of in-person or hybrid course and 6 units of online course
- 12 units of in-person or hybrid courses and 6 units of online course
The Following Combinations Do Not Meet the Undergraduate Full-Time Requirement:
- 6 units of in-person or hybrid course and 6 units of online course
- 3 units of in-person or hybrid course and 9 units of online course
The Following Combination Meet the Graduate Full-Time Requirement:
- 5 units of in-person or hybrid course and 3 units of online course
The Following Combination Do Not Meet the Graduate Full-Time Requirement:
- 3 units of in-person or hybrid course and 5 units of online course
For PDF files, you'll need Adobe Acrobat 5.0 or above to view it. If you need Adobe Acrobat Reader it's available free from Adobe (link is external).