Health Insurance & Immunization

J-1 exchange students are required by law to be enrolled in a health insurance policy that meets the requirement of the Exchange Visitor Program (visit their website to learn more about program requirements). Exchange students must present proof of enrollment in the approved policy to the OIP no later than the first day of classes. All international students and scholars must maintain insurance coverage during their stay in the United States.  Information on adequate coverage can be found on our Insurance Page.

Health Insurance
Student Health Center

Health Insurace

As a J-1 exchange student, you are required to purchase the SFSU International Student Insurance Plan regardless of any other health insurance you may already have. Confirmation of enrollment may be sent to

Back to top

Immunization: Measles, Mumps & Rubella

California State law requires all university students to be immunized against measles, mumps, and rubella. Before arriving in San Francisco, you should obtain a doctor’s certificate in English showing that you have received these immunizations. This documentation should be given to the Registrar's Office during orientation. If you do not provide proof of immunization upon arrival at SF State, you will need to be immunized during your first semester in San Francisco.

Back to top

SF State's Student Health Center

SF State's Student Health Center, located next to the Student Services office, provides a variety of free or low cost health services and prescriptions. For more information visit the Health Center website

Back to top