Prospective Exchange Students
Only students from designated Exchange Program Partners are eligible to participate in the exchange program at SF State. Before applying, please verify that your university is an SF State exchange partner. If your university is not an Exchange Program Partner, you are not elibigle for the exchange program. However, you are welcome to apply to SF State as a matriculated (degree-seeking) student. For more information, please visit Apply to SF State.
Once you have determined that you are eligible to apply for SF State's program, your next step is to speak with your home university's study abroad process to determine whether the program suits your needs and interests as a student. When speaking with your study abroad advisor, consider the following:
- Will you be able to take courses that suit your academic goals and home university requirements?
- Will you be able to pursue your extracurricular interests and hobbies?
- Will you be able to support yourself financially (San Francisco is the most expensive city in the US)?
- Do you prefer a rural, suburban, or urban setting?
- Are you comfortable living off campus (SF State cannot guarantee on-campus housing to exchange students)?
- Are you comfortable using public transportation?
Once you have considered these and other relevant factors and determined that SF State is the right fit for you, you should speak with your home university about the nomination and application process for SF State's exchange program. Please be aware that your home university must nominate you before you will be able to apply for the exchange program.
For more insight about life at SF State, please check out Advice from Past Exchange Students.