International (F-1) Students Abroad

International students studying at SF State on an F-1 visa can and should study abroad! Apply to study abroad and then after you have been selected please work with your F-1 advisor to remain in status with SF State for your F-1 visa. 

Applying to study abroad:

1) Attend an information meeting! 

2) Select an academic goal for study abroad: your major/minor, upper-division general education requirements, and/or to learn/improve another language. Remember, even as a transfer student, you will still need to complete 9 units of upper-division general education coursework. Consider saving those units to study abroad. 

3) Research programs. 

4) If you have additional questions or concerns, please speak with a Study Abroad Advisor during drop-in advising hours. Advisors can be reached while applying and when you are abroad.

5) Let your F-1 advisor know you will be studying abroad and check to make sure you are in good standing so you can return to SF State and the US after the end of your program.