Transfer Students Abroad

Transfer students may apply to study abroad as early as their FIRST semester at SF State, which involves you applying to the university and study abroad at the same time noting the different deadlines. Students may apply after they have begun at SF State to go abroad any term they are enrolled as a degree-seeking student, including their final semester. However, it is highly recommended to come in and learn about the process and plan as soon as possible regardless of the term abroad.

The SF State Abroad Office is happy to work with you before and after you transfer. 

Applying to study abroad:

1) Attend an information meeting! Don't wait. Even if you are still considering where you might apply, attend. 

2) Renew or apply for your passport. Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months after the end of your program. If you have a passport as a transgender person, please note that you can change the sex listed on your passport.

3) Select an academic goal for study abroad: your major/minor, upper-division general education requirements, and/or to learn/improve another language. Remember, even as a transfer student, you will still need to complete 9 units of upper-division general education coursework. Consider saving those units to study abroad. 

4) Research programs. 

5) If you have additional questions or concerns, please speak with a Study Abroad Advisor during drop-in advising hours. Advisors can be reached while applying and when you are abroad.

6) Don't forget to apply for scholarships. Some may have deadlines a year in advance of the program's start date.