The mission of the Division of International Education (formerly Office of International Programs) at San Francisco State University is to provide campus-wide leadership in advocating for, supporting, and implementing the university's goals for international education and exchange. It works closely with faculty, staff, students, scholars, and international alumni in supporting initiatives to internationalize the University. It is responsible for the coordination and administration of international education activities and initiatives on the campus.
The Division of International Education offers a comprehensive set of services and programs congruent with its mission and with recommendations arising from the University's strategic planning process.
The areas of responsibility of the Division of International Education fall into the following five major categories:
- Disseminate timely and relevant information on international and cross-cultural issues and opportunities to the university community and other individuals and groups via publications, electronic newsletters, and the internet.
- Collect and maintain data on international resources.
- Jointly facilitate the international scholarly movement of students, faculty, and staff to and from San Francisco State University.
- Acknowledge and honor the achievements of faculty, staff, and students in international education.
- Sponsor and support a wide range of international and cross-cultural programs and activities on campus.
- Initiate, recommend, and implement campus policies, guidelines and procedures pertaining to international education programs.
- Administer and support grants and contracts for international education, training and development work.
- Serve as a strong public advocate for policy, laws, and regulations that promote and enhance international education opportunities and which achieve greater public and leadership awareness, understanding and appreciation of the value of international education.
- Identify opportunities and coordinate activities for faculty international development.
- Work with faculty to internationalize the curriculum.
- Manage the Fulbright student and scholar programs.
- Promote and support study abroad programs for SF State students.
- Establish linkages with institutions of higher education overseas and in the United States for exchanges and collaborations.
- Promote, facilitate and serve international interests among the faculty.
- Provide services, programs, and orientations to international students and scholars to assist them in achieving their personal, professional, and academic goals.
- Promote, market, and attract qualified international students to San Francisco State University.
- Provide pre-admission counseling and advising services to prospective international students interested in studying at SF State.
- Nurture a continued relationship with San Francisco State University's international alumni. Provide immigration and personal advising to international students, scholars, faculty, and staff. Advise and prepare students seeking study abroad opportunities.Provide services to faculty and staff going abroad.
- Serve as an advocate on issues of importance and concern to the international student/scholar community at SF State.
- Provide advice and assistance on the protocol to the President's Office on hosting international visitors. Facilitate and assist official overseas visits of SF State administrators and faculty.
- Assist SF State academic and administrative units in coordinating international visitor activities on and off-campus.
- Develop and utilize resources among the university's constituencies, government and non-profit agencies, in support of international education. Foster, facilitate, and advocate international and multicultural understanding on the campus and in the local community.Facilitate and strengthen SF State's relationships with foreign governments through contact and interaction with the Diplomatic Corps and the International Diplomacy Council of San Francisco.
- Represent SF State in local, national and international organizations related to international education.